Friday, July 23, 2010

A book in the John?

I don't know about you, but I find nothing more disturbing than visiting someone, having to use their bathroom and finding a book in there. There's just something about that, which I find profoundly unsanitary. And what exactly does that mean? You'd like me to stay in your bathroom a while and peruse your current library? Should I really make myself comfortable and maybe bring a coffee in there?

And personally, I don't need to picture my host spending hours reading while on toilet. I don't need to know that much about your bowel habits so I can figure out how long you'll be in the bathroom as it corresponds to the length of the books. Really poor humor joke books, maybe 5-10 minutes? Long novels--does that mean about 20-25?

And what about the whole, did you wash your hands before and after handling the book? There are a zillion germs just living in every one's bathroom, which is why most of the cleaning products are so harsh, and you just have a book lying around there for folks to flip through? That's just really health conscious.

So, do me a favor, whatever your personal habits, please just keep them personal and take all reading materials out of the bathroom before guests arrive. What's next, an ethernet outlet for my laptop?

No comments: