Sunday, June 20, 2010

What the heck do you wear at my age?

I'm slowing coming to terms with the fact that I need a new fashion identity. I used to have some creative/hip flair that was sort of tied to a conservative touch, back when I was younger. Gosh, I loved my waredrobe. As a matter of fact, I still love my 20 something waredrobe. Issue is, as a 30 something-it is completely inappropriate to wear those things.

I also find myself lusting after the Junior section of department stores. That's bad right? I mean, just look at all the very cute and attractive things these girls get to wear! There are fun tops, great short outfits, long sweater shirts with stripes and great skinny stretch pants/jeans...why the heck don't I get that variety in the adult section?

Whatever happened to adults being able to have some form of flair? When I try on clothes in my age appropriate section, all I think is, "This would look nice in an office" or, "This would be something my Mom should wear." And isn't it slightly desturbing to anyone but me, that my mother and I are supposed to shop out of the same section in the department store and put outfits together accordingly? The other day we actually were wearing the same shirt?!

I don't think I'm pathetic enough to earn myself a slot of "What Not to Wear" with Clinton and Stacey (although people have said that I do remind them of her when I talk--so, shut up! I'm taking that as a compliment). But, seriously, what the heck am I supposed to wear at my age? The last thing I want is to look like those women on Real Housewifes, that don't realize, Calvin Klein wasn't designing for them when he made those jeans.

No comments: