Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hell with a large spoon

My friend forwarded an email to me today, that really got me thinking. In short it was a description of heaven and hell and a bunch of spoons with some soup. It's worth it--just come along with me.

In hell you see a big pot of soup and folks sitting around it all famished looking with these profoundly large spoons that are too long for them to put in their mouths. Now in heaven, you have the same scenario, except these folks are happy and feed, because...(come on some of you know this)...they actually feed each other with their long spoons instead of sitting around all depressed and selfish. See? Wasn't that worth it?

And this email that I would normally delete has me thinking all day. Why don't people actually take a moment to help each other out? Now, I'm sure some of you are just darling and would give the shirt off your back, but how many of us, are actually helpful on a day to day basis or are we too busy trying to shove large spoons in our own mouths?

I can say in my own existence, I have encountered some random acts of kindness that all be it small, really made my day. The person that lets you buy that one item in the store at the check out instead of waiting for him to buy all his items. Or the person that gives you directions instead of having you drive around in circle. Or the person that just smiles at you as you pass, for no good reason other than to be friendly. Or the person that you've never met that pays you a compliment and asks for nothing in return. Now this may all seem so silly, but if you really sit and think about it, one little morsel of kindness from that vast pot of soup, might actually fill a person for a whole day and it often requires little effort from the person lifting the spoon.

No comments: