Friday, April 9, 2010

Last I checked I worked for money...

I know the world economy is in a scary state these days. I also know if you have a job, you're amongst the very fortunate. But, last I checked, I actually worked for money. My philosophy is simple...you pay me, I show up. You stop paying me. I stop showing up. You get to own said % of my time that I give you in exchange for money. If you'd like to own more of my time, you have to pay me more money. I don't consider work, a charity where I donate my time.

To that point, I often hear folks lamenting about work and how they don't like it; or it's not fulfilling; or it's not challenging; or it's too challenging. So, here's my take on that...you're not necessarily supposed to like your work. That's why they call it work, and they pay you money. (See paragraph above on the rationale behind work and money.) If you happen to like your work, that's most certainly a bonus, but mostly not a pre-requisite. What you are supposed to like is something called a hobby. Hobby's are fun and most people don't get paid to do them. If you do get paid to do them, you may want to find another hobby and just slot that under work.

Lastly, I wanted to address people at work. Deep sigh. Yes, this economy will bring out the worst in people. Those that are cutthroat will just be more so. Those that are given to kissing up, will be inclined to get on a ladder so they can reach better. But mostly, I think if you're not these people, you just need to do your work, ignore them and learn what you can. For one thing, knowledge and skills are something you take with you when you leave said work for other work. Growth is actually a good thing. And even in bad economies there's always room for growth and money.

No comments: