Friday, April 10, 2009

Love is a four letter word

It occurred to me other day, while watching television, that most of the world doesn’t realize that love is in fact a four letter word. That’s right--it can belong amongst the ranks of those other four letter words I’m not going to type but we all know, when used in a profane way.

For example, the person in your life who is always trying to “improve” you because they “love” you. You know who I’m talking about. Spend a second on that. They say things like, “You’d be really pretty if you just lost some weight” or “You would have many friends if you just changed your personality.” You know, they share really constructive things like that because they “love” you, which obviously makes you wonder what the heck they’d say if they didn’t like you one spit. Gosh, with love like that who needs self-esteem?

Or how this one—the cheater. This person “loves” you so much, that they seek a “romantic” relationship outside of the one you’re in. But don’t worry. If caught the first few words will be, “You know I love you right?” Oh, yeah. Totally. Because hey, everyone who loves me is off with someone else. It’s the best way to show how much you care about the person you’re with—complete and utter betrayal. Perfect. Makes you wonder why St. Paul didn’t at that to the definition of love you find in Corinthians. He must of accidentally missed that one.

And how many made of TV movies do we have to sit through before someone realizes this one-- “I hit you because you make me mad. It’s your fault. You know I love you. Why do you make me do that?”---is beyond ridiculous. You’re right. It was totally me that caused you to put your fist through my jaw. Silly, silly me. See and all this time I thought it was you who moved your arms around.

So, do you see what I’m saying here? Don’t be seduced by the word “love” when the person saying it doesn’t exactly know what the heck it means. And by the flip of a coin, don’t be a doormat for a bad situation because you “love” that person. My Mom always said that the basis for any real love was respect. Respect for yourself and respect for the other party. Think about it. Especially, when you watch these folks on TV crying their eyes out for other useless parties, just because they “love” them. OK. Get a grip. Get some self-respect. Get a dictionary.

No comments: