Thursday, March 26, 2009

Do Real Professionals Yell?

I recently had a colleague of mine, call me up and ball me out about something so ridiculous that the mere mention of the topic is embarrassing. This exchange actually made me reflect on the concept of professionalism, and I wondered if there’s something in the greater business world out there that I’m just missing. It seems to me, for those of us that are fortunate to have our jobs, that the hurdle of "professional" bs that we have to surmount is staggering. Like, when exactly was it acceptable to call a person up, yell at them and then hang up? Did I miss a class in business school, when they were explaining how to build relationships with your colleagues? And when exactly did the idea that a difference in opinion made you an absolute outcast, difficult, and impossible to work with? Um, is it possible that maybe the idea the other party is pushing is perhaps, idiotic, ineffective or gasp---wrong?

I also find it a little disconcerting that the word “collaborate” gets throw around a lot in the business world, but in fact is short hand for, “you better agree with me and not have an opposite opinion because if you do, then, I’m going to say you’re not “collaborating”. Or here’s another one, you may have heard, “team player”--which is short hand for “person who has had a professional lobotomy and is simply agrees with everything said.”

In a world where most forms of integrity are lacking, I suppose I shouldn’t be so surprised by behaviors, but I’m wondering if what’s really needed is a form of military formality. Maybe the flattening of organizations is bad for business? Maybe what we need is more hierarchy? Maybe it really is unacceptable to go to an employee and share your frustrations when you probably should just call his boss and voice your concerns. You remember that...it’s call hierarchy. I often wonder if we need to go back to the system where everyone was called, Mr. Jones or Ms. Jones, and work product was valued more so than political clout. Maybe there needs to be less ego and more actual work?

So, for some of you folks out there, here’s a word of advice: if you’re angry, don’t pick up the phone and call someone at work. Better yet, just don’t pick up the phone or send or email or do anything. Instead, just stare out the window, or maybe go get a cup of coffee. Because you get paid for your time, just like your colleagues and at the end of the day, you’re supposed to be a professional and a team player who collaborates.

No comments: