Sunday, August 2, 2009

Why does an 8 year old need a manicure?

I found my way at the nail salon the other day where I patiently waited while flipping through the magazines wondering if I smelled like baby spit up, (I wonder these things from time to time.) when the manicurist called up her next client--what seemed to be an eight year old girl. Which brought to mind the question--why does an eight year old need a manicure?

I'd like to say that she was a profoundly polite child that was quite respectful as she bounced her way to the chair and started to soak her hands in the dish of warm water. I'd like to say that, but I can't. What I can say was that she commented, "About time" and yelled at her mother across the way, "I think I want blue? What do you think Mom, blue?"

Now, I remember being eight years old, and for the life of me, I don't remember knowing anything about nail salons. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have a manicure until well into my 20's when a dear friend of mine brought me to one out of kindness. We worked together and she thought I should clean up a bit. (She also introduced me eyebrow waxes, but that's another story.) What I did do as an eight year old, was read and write stories, and play with my little sister and a couple of dolls my godmother had brought me. But a manicure?

I did see my Mom paint her nails at home--always white--which I still can't figure out. And most little girls want to be "like Mommy", but my Mommy always explained that this was for grown-ups and then would amuse me with a fairy tale and encourage me to be a child. I can't even say my Mom painted her nails on a regular basis, she was too busy doing chores like cleaning, laundry and cooking.

So, as I flipped through the magazine, I felt sorry for that little girl. Because honestly, she probably has a world of disappointment ahead of her. If at eight years of age, you're already experiencing the pampering that goes with a manicure, what happens when you're in college and it's either the case of Ramen Noodles or a manicure down the street? Or how about, washing laundry or a manicure? Or maybe saving enough to have lunch or a manicure? How can you appreciate those things when you're already exposed and expecting them at eight?

I shouldn't criticize this child and parent all that much, after all her mom was good enough to explain to her on the way out, "It's a recession so I can't afford to pay for your pedicure. We have to cut back." And there you have it.

No comments: