Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A mixed bag of a year

I'd have to say in review that 2009 was definitely a mixed bag of nuts. There was some great events like my son (awesome salty cashew), and some unfortunate events like my cousin getting diagnosed with breast cancer (unsalted peanut with the skin) and annoying events like crazy co-workers that probably need Prozac (hazelnut).

But like the old adage says, that which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and hey, last time I checked I was still breathing. And that's life. You can't always predict what's going to come your way, you can only figure out how you're going to respond to it once it gets here. I guess it goes back to that concept of "character" or "being true to oneself" or however you want to think about it, but at the end of the day, we're not really defined by the events that happen to us, but rather our reaction. Strife is always an opportunity for growth and I have to say, I've learned WAY more with my failures than some of my successes. So, here's to failure being a great teacher if you don't sit in the dirt crying about it. They're boot straps, pull yourself up already.

In talking with family and friends, they're rating 2009 as an "eh" on the barometer of life, so no doubt some of you out there might feel the same. So as we bid the old year adieu and the new year hello, let's embrace the possibility of good fortune however you define it, and take it as an opportunity to pivot where we need to, adjust as need, and mostly, be thankful for whatever we have...even if it's a mixed bag of nuts with mostly peanuts and pecans pictured on the front of the packaging.

1 comment: