Friday, June 11, 2010

How old are these clothes?

I spent the better part of the other day cleaning out my old bedroom closet at my Mother's house. And I learned two things: 1) I used to have really great style and 2) I don't fit into a darn thing.

It was amazing to me as I sorted through the pile of clothes, that I watched most of my 20's flash before my eyes. That was the really short skirt that I could wear to work because I was only 24 and if I wore thick dark stockings, the women couldn't really complain. And there was the t-shirt that I wore the first "non-date" that I went on with my husband when we were just friends. That was the dress that I bought because I thought I looked hot in it, in case my husband would come to his senses and dump his girlfriend at the time (He didn't). And THOSE were the leather pants I'd wear when I wanted to go singing in a bar, and THAT was my first serious interview suit, etc, etc. You pretty much get the picture.

But, what I discovered is, we really do tell our history with what we wear. If you went through my closet now, you'd see that most of my attire fits my current lifestyle: it needs to be baby proof so that spit up, throw up and other bodily functions can we washed with the washing machine. And it needs to be quick. I don't have time to button, fasten and tie anything. Comfort and convenience is now of the utmost importance. Not only comfortable for me, but also for my son, who spends a good amount of time balanced on my hip and rubbing his face on clothes. I mean, I can't exactly have a beaded shirt if the little man can scratch his face on it, now can I? I think I would get an F on my Mom report card if I let that happen.

It also can not be too short (you bend down a lot as a mom) or cut down too low (no one wants to be flashed by you). Flats with the outfit is also a requirement. It is impossible to run after your kid and still have good balance on any heal that's more than an inch off the ground. It simply isn't going to happen. Remember that Mom report card? Tsk, tsk if vanity made you wear the high heal and you fell....

So needless to say, as I'm coasting through my 30's with a closet full of cotton washables, sweat pants and jeans. I shutter to think what my 40's will bring. I'm hoping as the children get bigger I can go back and acquire some sense of style. And for the record, I put the leather pants back in the closet. Hey, you never know.

No comments: