Monday, September 7, 2009

You'd be surprised what you can do without

Recently, we've found ourselves to be a one car family. It wasn't due to any tremendous planning on our part, just profoundly bad luck. The second car finally died and being that it was a Saturn, we didn't qualify for the cash for clunkers program. Even though if you saw it, you'd say it should be the clunker program's spokes model. But, just like most things in life, common sense is rarely rewarded by anything other than itself.

But it got me thinking, that most of us would probably be surprised what we can do without. Living in suburbia, if you told me, I'd wind up 1) a Mom and 2) a Mom without a car, I would have told you, you were nuts, but all in all, besides some planning and organization, it's really not that bad. I would say at worst it's just inconvenient and for emergencies there's the ambulance.

But it has had me stare at my life with new scrutiny. I can do without a host of things such as, dinners out, trips to the movies, and that gym membership. None of that means that I don't get good food (you'd be surprised what you can make from scratch really quickly), and entertainment (the library has great DVDs for free), or exercise, (heck I miss my old bike and there are on demand yoga classes for free on cable).

So, I ask you, if you were to downsize your life, what could you do without?

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Living in foreign lands also helps you re-define what is truly necessary: very little. What we in the USA find difficult to do without would be considered a luxury in many of the countries where I have lived.

V. Nifora said...

Thank you for sharing that. We are very fortunate.